10/30/2018

I'm actually writing about a few months ago.  Man we have had quite the spring/summer/fall!  Between the new baby, selling the house, buying a new one, and moving into grandma's we've put you through the ringer.  Last night you looked up at the sky, searching for the moon.  We've got so many trees surrounding us now that it's hard sometimes.  It took me back to earlier this spring.  We were outside playing, you'd been dancing with your daddy.  Suddenly you broke into sobs.  There was no mention of bedtime or going inside so we had no idea what began the desperate flow of tears.  Dad and I kept asking what was wrong, and finally through your sobs you told us that you couldn't reach the moon.  Your heart was completely broken as you reached up to hold the moon and your tiny arms fell short.  I blinked back my own tears at the realization of what this moment meant to you, and more tears knowing that I couldn't reach the moon for you.  For the first time I experienced what it might feel like to be unable to help you with your hearts desire, no matter how much I wish I could. You buried your head in your dad's shoulder and your shaking shoulders eventually grew more steady, you agreed that looking at the moon would be enough for now, and we promised we'd always help you find it in the sky.


Comments

Popular Posts